Thursday 19 December 2013

House Walks Okonjo-Iweala Out Of Meeting

House Walks Okonjo-Iweala Out Of Meeting


Click for Full Image Size

The Coordinating Minister for the Economy and Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo -Iweala, Thursday had an unpleasant experience with members of the House of Representatives Committee on Finance as she was walked out of a meeting. The committee had invited Okonjo-Iweala alongside the Accountant-General of the Federation, Jonah Ogunniyi Otunla, to come and answer questions on the state of the economy. But, the minister who had earlier in the day laid the 2014 budget proposal before both chambers of the National Assembly on appearing before the committee complained that she was "feeling sick," but had to honour the lawmakers' invitation out of respect. The minister told the committee led by Hon. Abdulmumin Jibril (APC, Kano): "I must tell you that I'm feeling sick. For the past one week I've not slept, so I'm not feeling fine. But I had to come because I respect the parliament and the committee. I'll try my best to respond to your questions as much as possible, and my other colleagues who are also here with me will contribute.' However, after the minister's explanation, Jibrin in consultation with other members of the committee, ruled that they could not take on the minister but said they would give her "the 50 questions" that they had for her to respond in writing. Jibril said: "We're not insensitive to your situation as human beings, and if you had told us this before now, we would have given you some time. We have 50 questions for you, and we can give you time to respond in writing," he said. The minister was not satisfied with the decision of the committee and insisted on responding to the 50 questions raised by the committee, saying "Since I'm here now, I want to respond to the questions in person." However, the committee chairman told her that he had ruled, insisting that "you should provide written answers within two weeks, and we'll invite you in January to appear before us. The 50 questions capture all at stake on the state of the economy." The minister responded: "I know you have ruled, but you have to hear me out. You haven't allowed me to say something, and everybody is here seeing what is happening. "With all due respect, I will not tell your committee that I'm feeling fine when I'm not. We have had good working relationship with your committee; I thought we'll be treated with courtesy, but the way you're starting is a bit disturbing," she said. It was at this point that Jibril walked the minister out of the meeting, saying: "You know I have ruled and if you don't mind please excuse us. Members should stay behind for executive meeting. We don't want any haphazard answers, so you can go honourable minister." But the minister insisted that "I will manage to answer the questions. I won't answer you haphazardly. I know my health, and I assure you that I can answer you well along with my other colleagues here." The visibly angry chairman however responded: "I'm sorry Honourable Minister. You can only decide what happens in the Finance Ministry and not in the House." The minister who was dismayed with the development said: "I have uttermost respect for the committee and expect same from you. I'm a minister of the Federal Republic. When you invite ministers, you should treat them with respect. We can't be invited and be abused." By Saint Mugaga, Abuja

No comments:

Post a Comment