Tuesday 3 December 2013

Get an intimate peek in the lives and careers of your favourite Nigeiran actors and actresses:OMAWUMI MEGBELE

Get an intimate peek in the lives and careers of your favourite Nigeiran actors and actresses.

OMAWUMI MEGBELE

Lively and down to earth best describe Omawumi Megbele, first runner-up of Idols West Africa reality show in 2007. A proper Warri girl, as she switches between Queen’s English to Wafi (pidgin english) so fluently.

"A Law graduate, Omawumi showcased her talents at various events and the afro pop star got nominated for hiphop world awards, Soundcity music video awards and emerged the winner for the best female vocal award at the hiphop world awards 2009. As you can tell, she's no stranger to thrills and excitement. In an age where entertainment is so accessible, fromonline blackjack to satellite television, to succeed to this degree is nothing short of astonishing. Her frank and open-hearted interview is an interesting insight into the world of a successful Nigerian woman."

Life before Idols
I was a Law graduate working in my elder brother’s law firm while waiting to go to the law school. I was a regular kid who just got out school.

Attraction
I saw the adverts on television. My family and friends thought it would be nice for me to go for the audition since I practically ‘frustrate’ them with singing in the house.

Challenges and pressures of stardom
It is with God’s help. I won’t call it coping because I try not to dwell on the negative aspect of my life or business. I think to have come this far in such a short time is indeed a miracle.

Idols experience
How is it possible to relive that experience in this short paragraph? I can only tell you it was a mixture of emotions from start to finish. I made new friends and met some mishaps along the way, but it has been a great experience.

Sense of style
My sense of style is being sexy, confident and comfortable. I particularly like wearing short dresses in African prints, it is cheaper and looks nicer and I get to promote my culture.

Reality shows
It is a good thing. It means a lot of people can dream, get an opportunity to show that and if possible, become a success. But there are hang-ups, and downsides to everything. When it becomes meaningless and purposeless, then, it is not healthy for the youths.

What success means to you
Contentment.

Growing up
I am from Delta State, Itsekiri in Warri North Local Government Area. My mother is from Ibani, Finima town in Bonny Island, Rivers State. I was a regular kid while growing up, a normal Warri girl. I am the 12th child of 14 kids and I have many brothers. I grew up in a polygamous home, we were really close-knit that it was difficult to tell who gave birth to who. I had my primary and secondary education in Warri, Delta State, and shuttled Port Harcourt regularly during holidays.

Describe yourself
I have been told that I am real, which means some people are fake. I say things the way I see them and have no room for pretence. I would say I am too playful, fun-loving, assertive most times and confident.

Genre of music
I do Afro-pop for now.

Youths who abandon studies for reality shows
Please don’t abandon your studies for anything. See if you can make out time to reflect on what you want in life. Think properly if you are indeed qualified for the auditioning before entering for it. Find out also the nature of the reality show. Be patient and get better with practice and stay out of trouble! No be stone na beans, one day e must done.

Future plans
I just finished shooting my video Today na Today. I will release my 13- track album which will hit the stands soon. As for the far future, na only God know that one.

Music industry in Nigeria
I think the music industry is growing. We might have some issues to sort out like royalties and distribution and all that. But e no get where problem no dey. So I would like to dwell on the positive.

My album, Wonderwoman, has been released into the market to be sold and I am getting favorable returns with the hit track In the music.

Inspiration behind In the music
It just came while I was driving on the Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos. So, I recorded what I got and wrote the rest when I got to Cobhams Studio.

Awards

I have been nominated for the Hiphop World Awards 2009, Soundcity Music Video Awards 2009, Nigeria Music Video Awards 2009, Citypeople Awards etc. So far, I have won two awards, the Hiphop World Award, next-rated category and Best Female Vocal 2009.

Financial rewards
When any artiste runs himself like a business, it is a sure direction to financial rewards. However, it does not apply in all cases. If God decides to order your steps, the financial gain is quite rewarding.

Are you fulfilled?
Everything one knows or studies is to improve one’s knowledge. There is nothing that I have that has gone to waste. Fulfillment does not come from these things for me. I am multi-faceted, it is God’s purpose that brings fulfillment.

Have you abandoned Law?
No.

No comments:

Post a Comment