Saturday 30 November 2013

West Brom boss rules out January sale


West Broom boss Steve Clarke has dismissed the chances of striker Shane Long leaving the club in January...
Long has stepped up to the mark in recent weeks, including a superb brace against Aston Villa on Monday night.
Albion were happy for Long to leave the club in the summer and talks between them and Hull for the striker were at an advanced stage before the transfer deadline interrupted.
The Republic of Ireland international is in the final year of his contract at the Hawthorns and he is yet to be offered a new deal.
A number of clubs are expected to contact Albion over the striker in the new year but Clarke knows it would be silly to sell his in-form striker, especially with other options not firing at present.
“If Shane continues to play at the level he is right now the contract issue will sort itself out,” said Clarke.
“If he’s on that level there’s no doubt. But are you asking me if I’m selling Shane in January? No, I’m not.
“Why would I sell my best, most in-form striker? I don’t think Shane will be going anywhere in January. I haven’t considered it.
“I just want Shane to continue in this run of form. I don’t want to spend the next four weeks talking about Shane’s contract or whether he’s going to be here after January because he will be.”

No comments:

Post a Comment